- Scientific Name: Phryma leptostachya subsp. asiatica (Hara) Kitam.
- Ref: Acta Phytotax. Geobot. 17:7. 1957
- English Common Name: Asian lopseed
- Chinese Common Name: 透骨草 tòugǔ∙cǎo
- Japanese Common Name: ハエドクソウ [蠅毒草] haedokusō
- Family: Phrymaceae
- Genus: Phryma
- Distribution: Moist ravines, forests, roadsides, mountain slopes, hillsides; 300-2800 m. Anhui, Chongqing, Fujian, S Gansu, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Jilin, Liaoning, Nei Mongol, Shaanxi, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Taiwan, Xizang (Bomi, Gyirong), Yunnan, Zhejiang [Bhutan, N India, Japan, Kashmir, Korea, Nepal, N Pakistan, Russia (Far East), N Vietnam].
- Photo: 06/15/2013, Mt. Tianmu, Zhejiang
Herbs, perennial, (10-)30-80(-100) cm tall. Stems simple or sometimes with apical branches bearing inflorescences, erect, 4-angular, apically pubescent or rarely subglabrous. Leaves petiolate or sometimes apical ones sessile; petiole to 4 cm, puberulent; leaf blade ovate-oblong, ovate-lanceolate, ovate-elliptic, ovate-triangular, or broadly ovate, 1-16 × 1-8 cm, herbaceous, both surfaces puberulent and sometimes more densely so along veins, secondary veins 4-6 on each side of midvein, base cuneate, rounded, or truncate but often decurrent for middle and basal leaves, margin serrate, dentate, or crenulate, apex acuminate, acute, or rarely subrounded. Spikes terminal or axillary, puberulent; peduncle 3-20 cm; inflorescence axis 10-30 cm; bracts subulate to linear, 1-2.5 mm. Pedicel short, erect at anthesis but later reflexed; bracteoles 2, at base of pedicel, subulate to linear, 0.5-2 mm. Calyx tubular, 5-ribbed, puberulent outside; tube 2.5-3.2 mm at anthesis; abaxial teeth 2, triangular, ca. 0.3 mm; adaxial teeth 3, subulate, 1.2-2.3 mm, apex ± hooked. Corolla light purplish, pale red, to white, tubular-funnelform, 6.5-7.5 mm, glabrous outside; tube 4-4.5 mm, ca. 1.5 mm broad at mouth, inside anteriorly puberulent; limb 2-lipped; abaxial lip 2.5-3 mm, apex 3-lobed with central lobe larger; adaxial lip erect, 1.3-2 mm, apex 2-lobed. Stamens inserted in corolla tube 2.5-3 mm from base, glabrous; filaments filiform, 1.5-1.8 mm, anterior 2 longer; anthers reniform-spherical, 0.3-0.4 × ca. 0.5 mm. Gynoecium glabrous; ovary obliquely oblong-lanceolate, 1.9-2.2 mm; style 3-3.5 mm; stigma 2-lipped, basal lip longer and oblong. Achene long ellipsoid, enveloped in persistent clavate calyx; persistent calyx tube 4.5-6 mm. Fl. Jun-Oct, fr. Aug-Dec. (Flora of China)
07/25/2015, Mt. Tianmu, Zhejiang