- Scientific Name: Rhododendron ovatum (Lindl.) Planch. ex Maxim.
- Ref: Bull. Acad. Imp. Sci. Saint-Pétersbourg, sér. 3, 15:230. 1870
- Chinese Common Name: 马银花 mǎyínhuā
- Japanese Common Name: マルババイカツツジ [丸葉梅花躑躅] marubabaikatsutsuji
- Family: Ericaceae
- Genus: Rhododendron
- Distribution: Thickets; 300–1600 m. Anhui, Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Sichuan, Taiwan, Zhejiang.
- Photo: 04/04/2013
Shrubs, 2–4(–6) m tall; young shoots sparsely glandular-hairy and pubescent. Petiole ca. 8 mm, narrowly winged, pubescent; leaf blade ovate to oblong-elliptic, 3.5–5 × 1.9–2.5 cm; base rounded or rarely broadly cuneate; margin slightly curved; apex acute and mucronate; adaxial surface glabrous or pubescent; lateral and net veins inconspicuous abaxially. Inflorescence subapical, 1-flowered. Pedicel 0.8–1.8 cm, densely gray-brown pubescent, also with short glandular hairs; calyx deeply lobed; lobes ovate or oblong-ovate, 4–5 × 3–4 mm, densely gray-brown pubescent, also sparsely glandular hairy at base abaxially, margin glabrous; corolla rotate, purplish, purple, or pink, with purple flecks inside tube, 1.6–2.3 cm, outer surface glabrous, inner surface puberulent; lobes oblong-obovate or broadly obovate; stamens 5, unequal, 1.5–2.1 cm, slightly shorter than corolla, filaments flat, pubescent in lower half; ovary ovoid, with dense short glandular hairs; style ca. 2.4 cm, exserted, glabrous. Capsule broadly ovoid, ca. 8 × 6 mm, densely gray-brown pubescent, also sparsely glandular. Fl. Apr–May, fr. Jul–Oct. (Flora of China)