- Scientific Name: Pentaphylax euryoides Gardner & Champion
- Ref: Hooker’s J. Bot. Kew Gard. Misc. 1: 245. 1849
- Synonyms: Pentaphylax arborea Ridley; P. malayana Ridley; P. racemosa Merrill & Chun; P. spicata Merrill.
- Chinese Common Name: 五列木 wǔlièmù
- Family: Pentaphylacaceae
- Genus: Pentaphylax
- Distribution: Evergreen broad-leaved forests; 600-2000 m. S Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hainan, S Hunan, S Jiangxi, Yunnan [Indonesia (N Sumatra), Malaysia, Vietnam].
- Photo: 06/07/2014, Hangzhou Botanical Garden
Shrubs or trees, 4-10 m tall. Branchlets grayish brown, terete, glabrous. Petiole 1-1.5 cm, adaxially grooved; leaf blade ovate, oblong-ovate, or oblong-lanceolate, 5-9 × 2-5 cm, leathery, abaxially pale green, adaxially dark green, both surfaces glabrous, secondary veins obscure on both surfaces, base rounded to broadly cuneate, margin entire and slightly revolute, apex caudate. Pedicel ca. 0.5 mm; bracteoles triangular, 1-1.5 mm, outside with white scales, inside sparsely white puberulent, margin ciliolate. Sepals 5, orbicular, 1.5-2.5 mm in diam., outside with dense grayish white scales, inside sparsely white appressed puberulent, margin ciliolate, apex retuse to 2-cleft. Petals oblong-lanceolate to oblanceolate, 4-5 × 1.5-2 mm, glabrous, apex retuse to 2-cleft. Stamens 5; filaments oblong, petaloid, 2.5-3.5 × ca. 1 mm; anthers ca. 0.5 mm in diam., 2-celled, distinct. Ovary ca. 1 × 2.5 mm, glabrous; style columnar, ca. 2 mm, 5-ribbed, apically 5-lobed. Capsule purplish brown to dark brown, ellipsoid, 6-9 × 4-5 mm, valves dehiscing along either side of midrib leaving persistent midrib between valves; columella persistent, 5-edged. Seeds reddish brown, linear-oblong, ca. 9 × 1.5-2 mm, compressed, apex very compressed or winged.(Flora of China)